Thursday, February 01, 2007

My Name Is Red

Yesterday I got hold of some of Orhan Pamuk's (winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2006) best known works - namely - My Name Is Red (Benim Adim Kirmizi), Snow (Kar), The Black Book (Kara Kitap), and Istanbul - Memories And The City. And unbelievably, they were priced at just £4 each in Amazon!!!

I've started reading "My Name Is Red" - the book which brought the Nobel. And the first few chapters fascinated me.

Mauren Freely wrote in the New Statesman: "More than any other book I can think of, it captures not just Istanbul's past and present contradictions, but also its terrible, timeless beauty. It's almost perfect, in other words. All it needs is the Nobel Prize."

And there it was - the Nobel Prize...

And the first few chapters I have read so far were always reminding me of Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude"...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Arijit,
i was just BlooGooling (Blog searching) & came acaross your Blog.Its a very nice one I must say.
I have read Pamuk & I find his work fascinating.
I read Praddep Magazine's article on your BLOG on Ganguly (Feb'06).Theres another fantastic article on Ganguly & Chappell on FinancialExpress.You should read it ......u will like it.You can also get it on my Blog.
Reagrds :)